Intro
This blog was created to share my Mordheim to Frostgrave conversion.
I played Mordheim when it first came out and it was "ok". I liked the lore, imagery, and the fact that it was tied to The Old World, but I wasn't impressed with the mechanics. It was more of the same thing which was done over and over in so many GW games. I shelved the box set and moved on to other games.
Many years later I found Frostgrave and Ghost Archipelago(GA) - both of which reignited my interest in Fantasy skirmish games. I have been very happy with both sets of rules, as well as Stargrave and Rangers of Shadowdeep. Recently I ran across a recent YouTube game of Mordheim, which invoked a wave of nostalgia in me to the point that I downloaded all of the PDF materials I could find from Broheim, with the intent of starting all over again. However, a thought crossed my mind "can I play Mordheim using Frostgrave?" Well the answer is... maybe.
Evolution
I didn't really stop to think about all of the conversions from one ruleset to the other, I just dove right in by looking at Mordheim warbands and seeing if I could match up the rosters with Frostgrave/GA soldiers and specialists. For the most part, I think some types in Mordheim match up well, other types required some re-skinning and imagination, while others get some help with a little bit of squinting and home-brewing. Some of my decisions may seem arbitrary - but my goal was to create something that had the feel and flavor of Mordheim, but using different mechanics.
Once I had an idea of how the warbands could be ported over I began to look at the bigger picture of how to keep the theme of Mordheim's warbands searching for wyrdstone compatible with the concept and mechanics of Wizards in Frostgrave searching for lost treasure and mysteries. It wasn't too much of a stretch really. However, what started off as a "what if" idea quickly turned into me going down a rabbit hole of spending many, may hours/days/weeks fleshing out; warbands, flora/fauna, converting magic schools/themes, developing regions/factions, adapting/creating lore, scenarios, leadership roles....you name it. Quickly the idea became a project - a project that I am happy to share with everyone.
Development
- Location
- History
- Lore
- Warband Leadership
- Factions
- Events
- Campaign Concepts
- Themes and Conflicts
- Antagonists and Protagonists
- Magic
- Demons
- Creatures
- Regions
- Bestiary
- Spell Lores/Colleges
- Scenario Conversions
- Warband Conversion
- Game Balance

No comments:
Post a Comment