Magic is the core of Frostgrave; however I felt that the current method of choosing a wizard type and selecting spells from different schools did not fit the concept of Mordheim/Warhammer's use of magic - plus I really wanted to incorporate the different Colleges of Magic into Albion and have them feel different.
In adapting Albion’s magical traditions for this campaign, I made the deliberate choice to curate specific spell lists for each Lore of Magic, rather than allowing full open-school Frostgrave access. This was done for two reasons:
Thematic Consistency
Albion’s magic is fractured, unstable, and deeply regional. Each school of magic — whether a formal College, an ancient rite, or a feral cult tradition — should feel distinct in both theme and gameplay.Faction & World Identity
By carefully selecting and renaming spells, we reinforce the identity of factions and magical traditions. A Bray-Shaman does not cast in the same manner as a Bright Wizard. A Wyrd Sister draws upon fate, not raw elemental power.How I Built the Spell Lists
The process followed a consistent method:
The process followed a consistent method:
Step 1 - Identify Core Theme
Step 2 - Select Appropriate Frostgrave Spells
- For each Lore, I reviewed its flavor from Warhammer source material, Albion’s own tone, and Frostgrave’s core mechanics.
- Example: Grey Magic → shadow, veil, deception, fate.
- I reviewed the full pool of Frostgrave and Ghost Archipelago spells.
- For each Lore, I selected 10 spells that fit both:
- the thematic tone of the Lore
- the mechanical needs of the faction using it
- Where needed, I renamed spells to match the Lore’s flavor.
- Example: Fog → Nightshroud in Vampiric Magic.
- Example: Elemental Hammer → Hammer of Righteousness in Sigmarite Prayers.
- The core mechanics of each spell were left unchanged to preserve Frostgrave balance.
- I ensured each list provided:
- A balance of offense, defense, utility, mobility
- A flavor that matched in-world expectations for that magic type.
- Spells that would clash thematically were excluded, even if mechanically strong.
Each Lore of Magic in Albion now has:
- A defined list of 10 curated spells
- A distinct narrative tone and playstyle

No comments:
Post a Comment